Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,613
Re: Canon IV vs Mirrorless

tony field wrote:

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

MaxCh wrote:

I suggest re-posting this question in Canon 6D forum.

Yeah ... sure ... that will guarantee an unbiased view ...

How about asking it in the SONY forum ??? ... that is another option also ... !!!

Maybe it is worth considering that the OP is an existing Canon shooter with a useful selection of lenses. That alone is probably strong incentive to stay within the Canon fold for either mirrorless or DSLR acquisition. you might consider that to be a pre-existing practical bias???

I had almost the same kit as the OP when I went mirrorless about 5 years ago. I chose Olympus for a number of reasons unrelated to the OP’s shooting needs. I mention that because I might suggest the following.

The canon 7D, 70-300, 17-40, and 50 are all pretty old technology, by today’s standard. While the lure of using those Canon lenses adapted to a newer Canon R mirrorless body might seem prudent, I suspect that matching the old slow DSLR focusing motors in those lenses, against the focusing demands of a Canon or Sony mirrorless body might drop the focusing performance down to a frame rate that would be less than even the 7D gets now. For kids, and sports, the OP might be disappointed, if that were to be the case. I would tred very carefully in that direction.

I would recommend the OP stay with the Canon DSLR technology unless he/she is willing to sell the entire 7D kit and replace it with a mirrorless kit with native lenses...be it Canon, Sony, Olympus or other. The 5D IV would most likely be the most cost effective route and serve the OP well for years to come.

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow