Topaz AI Sharpen Processing Time

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 8,318
Re: Topaz AI Sharpen Processing Time

brucet wrote:

I had some time on my hand so what the heck. I decided to time AI on my computer. A HP Envy 360, i5. Does fine with 99% of my work. Regular work is 4-500meg files.

Let me say from the start that I think AI gives a great result. But as I pointed out in earlier posts it has issues with brackets. And is to slow for my liking.

So I open AI. Load one of my normal tiffs. 135meg, 16 bit, 4000x6000.

Made one small change to the noise recovery from the default 20 to 30. Did an update. 29.45 to update the file. OK. Now I saved it. No Compression. 16bit tiff. sRGB. It took 7minutes and 7 seconds then AI crashed. Not for the first time I may add.

So do I persist with AI? No I have more thing to do than chase bugs for Topaz.

The processing time depends on the megapixels, not the size of the TIFF. Also, you need to clarify which of the Topaz AI programs you mean: they have very different processing speeds. DeNoise AI is relatively fast, Sharpen AI is very slow.

I believe the programs crash if you have inadequate GPU memory. I think you can configure it to use less GPU RAM, but at the cost of even slower performance.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow