Photo editing laptops

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Austinian
Austinian Veteran Member • Posts: 8,276
Re: Hands-on

Brad Bohland wrote:

Austinian wrote:

When I'm shopping for a laptop, I read as many technical and user reviews of the ones I'm considering as possible.

This website has some of the most detailed reviews I've seen, and is a good place to start research.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/

I read a number of reviews of 13" laptops and thought the Dell XPS 13 with a 4K screen sounded like the best fit for me.

At 13" size, I only want FHD resolution, but that's personal taste.

But then I went to Micro Center and spent 4-5 hours comparing the Dell with an Asus Zenbook 13, a Lenovo 730s, and the Microsoft Surface Laptop 2.

I looked at a lot of additional reviews while I was on them, including notebookcheck, and found them helpful but the hands-on was decisive.

To really get the feel and look you have to meet them in person. If you're lucky enough to have a great store like Micro Center.

The hands-on is indeed helpful for important things like trackpad and keyboard feel that are highly subjective; I much prefer to have a physical PC available for such things.

However, important technical details like color gamut, processor throttling and other potential performance issues etc., often don't show up without specific, rigorous tests. I want to have both.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Sony FE 28mm F2 Samyang 135mm F2.0 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow