Europe with m43 - What worked what didn't retrospective

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
whumber
whumber Senior Member • Posts: 2,345
Re: Europe with m43 - What worked what didn't retrospective

Martin Ocando wrote:

So, this is my plan for my next trip:

1. Get an E-M1 Mark II or a Panasonic G9. Still hasn't decided on which one will be. Mostly because my old E-M1 is already pretty banged up. It has endured lots of events and is time to retire it as a backup. More pixels and a better battery is a plus. Kind of leaning towards the Oly, since the G9 seems a bit heavier and larger, and don't know if it's going to fit inside my 5L bag.

For travel, if you're open to getting the Olympus 12-100 for a single lens kit then I would go with the E-M1ii; otherwise I would recommend the G9. You get a much nicer EVF that isn't going to misbehave if you wear polarized sunglasses, excellent video quality and better smartphone connectivity. My experience is that you'll give up some C-AF performance and a tiny bit of stabilization performance but the C-AF difference won't really matter for travel and the stabilization difference isn't really significant, plus it may end up being better if you can pair it with a dual IS compatible lens.

1. Get a Panasonic 7-14mm f:4. Yeah, I know, purple blob. I don't plan to be shooting outside too much with it anyway. But the extra range, AF, and being rectilinear is a plus.

I would definitely consider the 8-18 as well.

Finally, grab a 35-100 f/4-5.6. It's extremely tiny, shockingly sharp for what it is, gives dual IS with the panasonic bodies, and you can get the silver ones on ebay for a bit over $100.

whumber's gear list:whumber's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow