5D mark iv issues

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Eagle430s Regular Member • Posts: 279
5D mark iv issues

I used to own a lovely 6d camera using it everywhere from studio work to events to beach shots..and I was very happy with it my only little complain was the slow focus for moving subjects other than that I was very happy with it

I saved some money and decided to sell it for a 5d mark iv...I own my 5d mark iv for 8 months now but I only recently started to use it for events

My fist and most serious issue is that I have a lot inconsistency with my flash ( Canon 600ex-rt) ..with my 6d 90% of my time during events I used to work my flash in ettl mode and doing the necessary adjustments according to the ambient light-settings to my camera-distance from my subjects and I had no issue at all...I used to work like that for 3 years..

My 600ex rt seems to sort of getting confused with my 5d mark iv and I have two canon ex 600ex rt flashes one is 3 years old the other one is about 1 year old so its not a matter of my flash being too old and doing this...I mean in ettl mode lots of times it will either under expose or overexpose my photo something I never had with my 6d camera

When I have a photowall panel and I am at a fixed distance and set my flash to manual its a lot better but in ettl mode my camera most of the time can not get it right and its very frustrating..I know you will tell me why don't you just use manual mode on your flash? During events there is not any fixed distance and also the people will just pose for one photo and then walk away...on the other hand this is how I used to work with my 6d for 3 years and never had any issues

I don't know if its a situation of an older flash vs newer software camera? I mean I don't know if the 600ex rt II (newer flash) will work much better with the 5d mark iv ?

Also another frustrating issue is how fast my batteries are draining,,on my 6d I used to get around 800 shots...on my 5d mark iv from a full charge I get around 300 shots using flash on both situations..I 've read somewhere that this might be due to my sigma 24-105 f4 art os lens and the image stabilisation is draining the battery much faster...but my minimum shutter speed is 1/60 -1/50 ? I don't know if with these speeds the stabilisation has to work overtime on the lens?

I don't know if these issues are normal to the 5d mark iv or its just my copy of the camera? but its getting really frustrating

Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow