Europe with m43 - What worked what didn't retrospective

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Martin Ocando
OP MOD Martin Ocando Veteran Member • Posts: 6,264
Re: Europe with m43 - What worked what didn't retrospective

NCV wrote:

I often visit Italy's "art cities" as a work trip bonus. My camera bag is usually my briefcase which works better than a proper camera bag sometimes.

I carry two EM5 bodies with the Panasonic 12-35 2.8 on one and the Olympus 7-14 on the other. I chuck the 35-100 in the bag too.

This set up for me is unbeatable for city tourism as far as I am concerned.

I experimented with the D810 with the 24-120 lens, but it has too many limitations for dark interiors. FF is for "slow photography", not tourism.

Two small EM5 type bodies each with the smaller Panasonic 2.8 lenses mounted is more ductile I believe than a bigger G9 or EM1 and the larger heavier normal and long Olympus 2.8 zooms. My sort of set up avoids risky lens changes dusty outdoor places is mostly avoided.

EM5's are very cheap at around €250 SH I have three of them for when I use a camera bag on trips where I use the car.

The smaller M43 cameras are unbeatable coupled with the more compact Panasonic fast zooms for travel, which is what cameras are used for 99% of the time. That is why I have become such a fierce critic of Olympus which seems to be going down the "bloatware" road with their late offerings rather than keeping a fantastic camera like the EM5 up to date or offering compact 2.8 zooms like those two Panasonic jewels.

You know, I've been considering the 12-35mm for quite a while now. Is considerably smaller and lighter than the 12-40mm, and if is as good as my 35-100mm, it should be a stellar lens. Sadly there is no easy way to sell the 12-40mm here in Panama.

-- hide signature --

Martin
"One of the biggest mistakes a photographer can make is to look at the real world and cling to the vain hope that next time his film will somehow bear a closer resemblance to it" - Galen Rowell

Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow