how to compare camera to mobile phone?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 15,661
Re: how to compare camera to mobile phone?

SergeyAU wrote:

there was a discussion before about why phones seem to take better pictures these days. I am just trying to work out a simple formula to convert settings that my s9 has taken pictures with to settings on my Canon M100

S9 crop factor is 6.1 (1/2.55" sensor)

M100 crop factor is 1.6

Is there a simple calculator somewhere to convert aperture, shutter, ISO from one size sensor to another?

If phone used f1.7, 1/125, ISO 1200, what should I set my camera to for a similar looking picture?

This is a wild goose chase. Before you even think about settings you need to work out which lens will give you the same field of view. Then you need to know the saturation, contrast, sharpening etc that the phone applied (and those parameters are probably invisible to you).

Unless you can answer all those things you won't get similar looking pictures whatever settings you use.

Just accept that a camera is one tool and a phone is a different tool and find the way of using each that gives the results you want.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow