To ETTR or not to ETTR...?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
TomFid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,115
Re: Am I missing something?

FingerPainter wrote:

The Ghost of Caravaggio wrote:

ISO Is An Important Parameter

Use the lowest practical ISO consistent with practical shutter times and or aperture settings. This maximizes sensor exposure. If your camera happens to use dual conversion-gain sensor technology there will be two minimum ISO settings. One for low gain (bright light) to optimize sensor analog dynamic range in bright light and another for high gain to maximize sensor sensitivity in low light.

I'm not sure what you are advising here.

Assume a dual conversion gain camera that switches at ISO 800 and has a base ISO of 100. Assume a scene luminance and highlights such that there are two stops of highlight headroom at the slowest shutter that won't give unwanted motion blur and the widest aperture of the lens.

Are you suggesting the user will get better results at ISO 100 than at ISO 400? Isn't ISO 100 "the lowest practical ISO consistent with practical shutter times and or aperture settings"?

There may be a couple of dual gain m43 cameras, but looking at http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm I don't see anything with enough of a step in performance to justify shooting above the base native ISO, unless you're short on light. Am I missing something?

I would have thought one should use the highest ISO consistent with not blowing desired highlight detail at the slowest practical shutter and widest practical aperture.

The theoretical benefit of this isn't normally visible on my EM5ii, but other bodies might differ. There's no substitute for personal testing, I think.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
XRF
XRF
XRF
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow