Improving backwards?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mtshutterbug New Member • Posts: 1
Improving backwards?

I have many interests, mostly outside; hiking, biking, canoeing, but mostly viewing wildlife. I like to take pictures to document my activities, mostly for my own use. I view the computer as a tool to organize and view my pictures, but computers are not my hobby, any more than my phone is.

Ten years ago, on Windows or Mac programs I could import pictures, tweak them and store them by just sitting down at the computer.

Now, I have given up hope on Shotwell because of various glitches, such as losing all my pictures in one fell swoop. Plus, I often sat with Shotwell open, user manual in one hand, Ipad in the other, working through some process.

Now, I tried DigiKam, installed in Ubuntu. It is sitting on my screen with a list of all the wonderful new features this version has. With a users guide in one hand, Utube’s open in the other, I am trying to discover how to set up the program and/or import some photos. No luck so far.

At 72 years of age, I am sure that I have lost some of my mental agility, but it seems that with all the tweaking done to this, that those two things should be readily discoverable if not intuitive.

I am not exceptionally intelligent, but am a Mensa member, an Intertel member, have a two year degree in civil engineering, a BS in Economics and a minor in Industrial Engineering.

It seems to me that more and more, the developers of technology forget the average user doesn’t spend sixty hours a week working with their products, and that their particular technology is just one of many technologies the typical user has to learn to master.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow