To ETTR or not to ETTR...?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
DLGW Senior Member • Posts: 1,183
It's rarely really 'needed' at all. It's all about maximizing potential image quality...

,.. under certain sets of circumstances.

Jeepit wrote:

so are you saying ETTR is not really needed for mFT cameras? Is that small boost in image quality really worth the end results, if a photographer has to change his/ her way of shooting and start wondering about if every shot should be ETTR?

Think of it as a potential tool - like shooting a panoramic or shooting multi-exposure to eventually blend into and HDR image. It does require you to evaluate what you are shooting and how, and to make a decision as to how get the best image quality out of a particular shoot.

As to whether or not the improvement is worth a small bit of effort - that is for the photographer to decide.  I rarely use to be honest, but since I'm already shooting full manual exposure and watching my histogram, the amount of additional effort when capturing is about zero. Any image I actually do something with is processed from RAW as well, so again, about 3 seconds of additional time to 'fix' the exposure.

DLGW's gear list:DLGW's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
XRF
XRF
XRF
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow