Too sharp lenses?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
OP DeathArrow Senior Member • Posts: 1,051
Re: Too sharp lenses?

khunpapa wrote:

Gato Amarillo wrote:

In the olden days of film some photographers spoke of Leica lenses as "always sharp but never too sharp."

I find my newest lens a bit harsh when it comes to skin texture compared to the lens I used before. Both do a nice job of rendering detail such as hair and eyelashes but one brings out pores and blemishes more than the other.

So I guess you could say it is in a sense too sharp.

Gato

In some old Nikon's article I had read, the author explains about the sharp-but-soft 105mm portrait lens.

They (Nikon's lens engineer) deliberately design the (far) red wavelength to be out-of-focus. So while the overall image of the human subject is razor sharp, the skin is not.

##

To OP.

For nowadays lens, the classic example of "too sharp" lens is the classic Olympus ZD 50mm f/2 macro-portrait lens. There are many topic that people complaint about its [too much] sharp.

The mZD 75mm f/1.8 is almost being accused of its overt sharpness too.

Here is the second sharpest lens from Dxomark's database:

https://www.onportraits.com/sony-90mm-macro-review/

Is it too sharp for you?

DeathArrow's gear list:DeathArrow's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow