To ETTR or not to ETTR...?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Jeepit Regular Member • Posts: 168
Re: Have I got it right?

timo wrote:

This thread seems to have got super-complicated

thank you I agree...but this is the nature of message boards

. Have I misunderstood ETTR?

My understanding is that the further up the histogram you go (i.e. to the brighter end), the more useful data the file can contain, and that includes finer distinctions of tonal values. So for the purposes of taking the photo, you push the exposure up as far as you can SHORT OF blowing the highlights to the point where they are unrecoverable. The image will look overexposed at that point.

That is my understanding as well.

Then in post-processing, you bring the 'exposure', or 'brightness', or whatever you want to call it

(amen brother)

, back down to whatever reflects you visual intentions. That way you will get more subtle, more accurate, shadow tones. And better S/N ratio, provided you haven't had to adjust the ISO upwards, which would have defeated the purpose.

As the OP what you have typed is how I understand it to.

If, using the camera's metering system and with your EV dial set to 0, your shot is already just about triggering blinkies, you are already 'exposing to the right', and you don't have to adjust anything. ETTR is most relevant in situations where there are no important extreme highlights, and you have a lot of shadow detail that you want to maintain.

For me its all about maintaining or 'bringing up' the shadow detail to balance it with everything in the shot.

What have I missed?

Jeepit's gear list:Jeepit's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-330 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
XRF
XRF
XRF
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow