Am I wise not to trust Adobe entirely?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
tokumeino Senior Member • Posts: 2,327
No, but there are good news

Of course, you shouldn't trust a company whose primary interest is to make profit out of you. That beeing said, I'm currently switching from LR to something else but in all honesty, I find quite stupid to switch now because of an hypothesis/fear about the future. There are many reasons to switch from Adobe, but this plan-gate is not one of them IMHO (cloud privacy, performance issues, poor IQ, mandatory crop of mirorless RAW files to mention only a few ….).

The good news are that LR beeing dominant, many third party alternatives make it easy to import a LR catalogue, and recover many edits, plus all metadata. In addition, Adobe writes everything in regular XMP sidecar files, at disposal of any other software. So, regardless of Adobe's commercial policy, you are not traped in LR. Most alternatives are much more closed, and can sometimes be a one way trip.

Whatever your choose if you switch, make sure that the host software will make it easy to leave as well. Typically, when it comes to metadata, never choose a DAM that doesn't write everything in regular XMP files, by respecting standards.

tokumeino's gear list:tokumeino's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Canon G7 X II +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow