Death of the Fujinon 18-55

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
pseudobreccia
pseudobreccia Contributing Member • Posts: 664
Re: Death of the Fujinon 18-55

Threaded wrote:

Just sharing this as a datapoint really in case it helps anyone, but today my 18-55 died completely while I was snapping away on my X-Pro2.

The lens is about four years old - “made in Japan” for what that’s worth - and originally came as part of my X-E1 kit as my starter in Fuji. That said, it hasn’t seen a huge amount of use as I tend to prefer my primes.

Anyway, I was happily using it on holiday today and while I was shooting the shutter button suddenly stopped responding and the OVF framelines started behaving strangely. I turned on and off, pulled the battery etc, and noticed that the aperture was showing as f0 - I realised that as far as the camera was concerned the lens simply wasn’t there, which is why - with “shoot without lens” turned off - it wasn’t firing anymore.

Obviously I tried mounting and unmounting the lens a few times and wiping contacts etc, but there was no “lens communication error” or other fault message, the lens was simply dead as a doornail. With my 18mm f2 attached, the camera is all back to normal - unfortunately that’s the only other lens I have with me on this trip.

Disappointing. But it went out with a bit of a bang - here’s one of the last frames (and no, it didn’t get splashed) -

It's a great lens...congratulations!

-- hide signature --

Steve A. Kleinheider

pseudobreccia's gear list:pseudobreccia's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Pentax K-1 II +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow