Worse than I thought

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
JakeJY Senior Member • Posts: 3,065
Re: Worse than I thought

Photo Pete wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

I don't mean this in an insulting way at all, but M43 shooters don't seem to be concerned with having the latest whiz bang features or lab test IQ winners. The lens system is probably the most complete in the business. M43 is a victim of its own success. It's a mature system which will probably only generate sales through necessary replacements.

Remember, market share is just a measure of how many cameras sold within a given period. There is still a huge M43 user base from the accumulated sales over the last decade.

This is such a good point.

Nikon, Sony and Canon are all still in the transitional period to mirrorless, where they are offering something new for existing full frame dSLR users. This should generate a spike in sales (and yet they are still struggling with their sales figures)

The increase in mirrorless sales is actually not anywhere close to covering the loss of DSLR sales. Canon is continually lowering forecasts. Nikon is doing even worse.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2376449107/report-canon-is-lowering-profit-forecast-20-due-to-shrinking-camera-sales

Perhaps, in a mature market, Olympus have got it right. Why incur the considerable r&d expense of replacing existing models with completely new sensors and AF technology on a yearly basis when such incremental upgrades are unlikely to attract large numbers of upgrading customers.

Yeah, it's pretty doubtful the strategy pushed by some enthusiasts here (putting cutting edge sensors into inexpensive small cameras) would necessarily mean profitability even if that is the camera they want to buy. In a healthy camera market with room to grow it may be a great strategy, but in this shrinking market, being wise in R&D spending probably is the better choice given it's no guarantee you can sell enough to recoup.

Much have been made about Olympus's E-M1X, but if you examine it, a lot of the parts were recycled from the E-M1 II, lowering Olympus's R&D cost.

People also have to keep in mind the lenses make up an important part of sales. The people buying the entry cameras tend to not buy extra lenses other than the kit lenses. I think increasingly camera makers are going to be aiming toward photographers that buy other lenses.

And, more significantly, why as consumers are we buying into this? The em5 mkii was announced just 4 years ago. When did not releasing a camera update for four years become such a crisis and when did any photographer need to upgrade their equipment so frequently?

I think industry release cycles are shorter than that, which is why the anxiety. Olympus has pretty much say E-M5 III is coming, they just need some time (especially given the recent shuffling of their manufacturing).

JakeJY's gear list:JakeJY's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S9300 Nikon D5000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow