Worse than I thought

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 37,429
Gearheads and fashionistas

The fact of the financial life of the matter is that manufacturers make gear to service what they think that the market wants.

But the reality is that most camera gear users don’t really know what they want except that think that they wish to get gear that constantly improves the images that they capture with no more effort than forking out some more money.

The reality is that most cameras and lenses currently on offer be they 4/3 sensor types through to medium format types are quite good enough for our photographic purpose.

But in this day of easy-photography and easy-everything from mobile phones right through to pending self-drive cars the thrust is to less effort and dumbing down skill sets.

We cannot make photographic opportunities suddenly appear on demand - some are “created” others just happen before our eyes.  Nor can we force would be photographers to learn photographic technique. But we can keep on buying ever better gear in the continually futile attempt to get even better images when the person pressing the shutter does not update themself.

So there are crazes - FF ML is the “new black” - make it they can sell it and the suckers certainly cannot buy it faster than they can make it.

But M4/3 must be good enough for almost anyone but trying to stop lemmings in full flight for that cliff might be quite hard.

Why, after finding that good digital photography was possible with a 4/3 sensor and a mere 16mp sensor in compact gear, is there this pulsating fear that somehow not getting back to near 135 film size kit is going to be left in the dark photographic age?  It is irrational.  Right from my first tentative serious steps into digital photography with a 2.6mp capture area sensor I have always been happy on the day with what my gear produced.  On that day everything was photographically perfect.  But sensors and images improved until I thought “this is perfect”.  But somehow perfection can be improved on by simply buying more and more gear.

Somewhere we have to draw a line in the sand and admit to our inner self that the gear in our hands is good enough and that is a rational argument.

Olympus has metaphorically said that “we produce great cameras”.  That “the 4/3 sensor will become and has become good enough for 99% of normal photography.  We have made some “to die for” lenses to go with them”.

But the trouble is that the gearheads and fashionistas by their would be buying patterns are saying that Olympus is wrong and frankly Olympus must be struggling to find the  capital to invest in new camera bodies.

If prices are indeed falling then the risk is that new gear in the form of camera bodies is going to be a struggle and Olympus fans need to spend more to have their favourite company survive in a difficult market.

There is no much point in arguing why Olympus and the M4/3 format is good enough for anyone apart from the truly well heeled and technically competent - but of course that defines all of us ....  Just ask this forum.

So instead of taking advantage of bargain prices and making things worse for Olympus - why not invest in some of their expensive exotic lenses at RRP and not waiting for the next sale?

This is a quick and more practical way of showing that you care for both Olympus and M4/3  and at he same time take better images “magically” instead of arguing why it might be better and then only buying at a discount.  Human nature can often destroy the very thing that they love.

In a disclosure of my own position:  I am considering buying a Panasonic S1/S1R not for the purpose of leaving M4/3 where I am very happy but for the ability to re-use my 10-15 year old collection of Canon EF mount lenses alone. Period, I have no intention of re-buying my EF mount lenses in L-Mount.  To me this is a common sense point of view.

I am a great believer that small body M4/3 is its future and that trying to emulate FF sensor camera bodies for their “look” status value is a mistake.  But the forum revels in “big” M4/3 bodies by buying them - although many complain about this there wasn’t actually a rush to buy GM series cameras at their RRP when they were about.

The E-M1ii and G9 are great cameras but perhaps the E-M1x (excellent camera) is a dagger in the heart of M4/3 as Olympus strives to emulate the status-style of FF ML in M4/3.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow