Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
SeeTheWorld
OP SeeTheWorld Regular Member • Posts: 342
Re: RX100M6 BIF~What am I doing wrong?

LynnObie wrote:

SeeTheWorld wrote:

LynnObie wrote:

SeeTheWorld wrote:

I've been practicing taking BIF photos by stationing myself near a bird feeder. You'd think this would be elementary. I have the camera set on the mid speed of taking a sequence of photos. I zoom in on a bird sitting still on the feeder, press the button and the camera starts taking a series of photos.

The bird is in focus until it moves. Then it gets blurry. Then when it flies away, it's a blur of color with a something looking a little solid in the center (being the bird's body). If I can't capture BIF on a bird feeder, how can I do it in the sky?

When I used to use my Canon Rebel with a zoom lens, I captured lots of birds and BIF quite clearly as I moved the camera with the bird. So, what's going on with the Sony RX100M6? I must be doing something wrong.

Thank you for the input!

Hi Mary... Take a look at the BIF settings Horacecoker uses with his RX10 IV and see if the same settings on the RX100 VI might help you achieve better results.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60310604

Thanks Lynn. I took notes from David's post and they will also help with the RX10M4 I'm hoping to purchase soon.

On another note, I noticed that your gear is the RX10M4 and a phone (iPhone?). I'm wondering why you're using a phone and not a pocket camera. I've recently gotten the RX100M6, but I'm still on the fence about keeping it.

Thanks!

You're welcome, Mary... I recently sold my RX100m3 after deciding to buy the RX100m6 right before our next cruise. I do have an iPhone XS Max but still not comfortable using it as an actual replacement for the pocket camera. I will probably order the new camera sometime next month unless I get an irresistible counter offer to my conservative bid at Greentoe before then. I think the combo of RX10m4 and RX100m6 will suit me just fine.

Those are the two cameras I'm working to have and learn by our vacation in August.  I've got my RX10M3 for sale on eBay right now.  Just waiting for an offer that's not a scammer.  Two scammers have tried to "buy" it in the first few days.

The key for me is learning the settings before vacation.  I want to have a couple of custom menus before we leave.

-- hide signature --

Mary
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world . . ." Margaret Mead

SeeTheWorld's gear list:SeeTheWorld's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G11 Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow