Your f/1.4 35mm AF Preferences

Started 1 month ago | Polls thread
Jeff2013
Jeff2013 Senior Member • Posts: 2,688
Re: Your f/1.4 35mm AF Preferences

If you can obtain a positive "outlier" Sony 35mm f1.4 lens copy, it would be good.  I first purchased this lens when it was released five or six years ago and went through three of them without a lot of success.  I kept using an adapted Sigma 35mm ART, as it was sharper off-center.  I then went to the Canon 35mm f1.4 II, which was excellent, and the best of the bunch.

Tiring of adapted lens focusing challenges on AF-C, I acquired the Samyang FE 35mm f1.4 when it was released.  I was amazed at how close it was to the Canon lens, so I sold the Canon lens.  I am mostly happy with the Samyang lens, although, it is possible to acquire mediocre copies of this lens as well, from what I have read.

I recently acquired the Sigma 40mm f1.4 ART and it is  absolutely stunning... blows all the 35mm f1.4 lenses out of the water for sharpness at f1.4; so, I now just use the Samyang for travel where I need a light weight kit.

The Sony FE 35mm f1.4 was one of their first FE lenses.  It would be great if the Sony engineers that designed the recent (stunning) GM24mm and GM135mm lenses would design a revised Version II model, although I expect that an FE 35mm f1.8 will be next on their agenda based upon apparent demand.

-- hide signature --
 Jeff2013's gear list:Jeff2013's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow