Worse than I thought

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
DeathArrow Senior Member • Posts: 1,051
Re: Canon made a prediction about the industry - people here laughed

tokumeino wrote:

esco wrote:

You're absolutely right and that's because the mainstream demographic and even many of those that flirt with the idea of photography aren't going to go as far as to carry an additional piece of gear that overlaps much of the functions that their own phone does.
We saw this happen with navigation devices, sound recorders, portable computing, mobile music players etc. . .those markets have become erradicated or highly consolidated into a premium and or professional niche for those that did survive (for photography this will be products like Leica, FF, Fully fleshed out 4k/8k etc. . .because they present a product that is aimed towards the wealthy, hardcore enthusiasts and pros with capabilities on a magnitude far higher than phones by comparisons) It's harder to make that case with small sensor cameras despite how great they can be in all honesty.

In the film days, as a child, I've used many small Kodak orange cameras with only one film inside, that you directly give to the shop. That was the equivalent of smartphones.

My father had an actual camera, with only one lens, and his was bringning his films to the shop as well. But the pictures were much better. That's the equivalent of my Fuji or former M43 gear, with kit lenses and afordable primes.

We could see other people with massive lenses, some of them even developing films by themselves, in a dark room. Taht was the above category.
Rough categories, but digital photography is perhaps finally structuring arround similar use cases...

The market will shrink to the levels it was before digital photography boom.

DeathArrow's gear list:DeathArrow's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow