Worse than I thought

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
absquatulate Forum Pro • Posts: 10,156
Re: Worse than I thought

tokumeino wrote:

absquatulate wrote:

It very much depends on what and how you shoot of course, for me it's a huge gain.

Exactly. I'm not stating that IBIS is useless. This would be stupid. It completely depends on the usage and it is not because I don't have a use case, that somebody else doesn't.

Just, in my case, refering to years of keepers with my M43 gear (as many : travel, people, casual snaps that some call "street"), I was hard pressed to find one where IBIS would have been decisive when compared to OIS, or even nothing. I nevertheless was afraid to miss IBIS, but it was not the case.

But again, I don't deny that there are other usages than travel and people. It's just a matter of style. For instance, I believe that IBIS can be very useful for hand held macro, typically. Or night shots of still objects for instance.

Just, what people should be aware of is : just by learning how to properly hang a camera, you easily gain 3 stops against just raising the thing and pushing the button. That plus OIS of tele lenses, and really many needs get covered.

The question is : if my Fuji camera had IBIS, in all honesty, would I turn it off ? No, surely not. And anybody stating that IBIS is completely BS would let it on after actually trying. I've tried both ways and I know that IBIS is a nice thing to have but one shouldn't overstate the feature and keep a bit balanced.

Sure, I understand that, however, there's IBIS and then there's the phenomenal IBIS found on the E-M1 and G9, which is on another level again. For me this is a big win, for what I shoot, which is mostly static scenes. It can mean the difference between getting the shot or missing it because I'm not carrying a tripod. Or getting a razor sharp shot shooting telephoto at shutter speeds I could not use even with OIS. Of course if you shoot a lot of movement in lower light then m4/3's is not going to be your first choice. I had the A7S, with a lens with OIS, and I can get better quality shots with my G9 for what I like to shoot, and I can do that a lot cheaper as well, with far greater lens choice. I also didn't find Fuji much better than m4/3's in lower light, the difference is minimal compared to the huge difference 6 stops of IBIS makes for me. The A7S obviously is better but other factors also make it worse, such as dof differences, for how I shoot. The telephoto factor on FF is also a PITA, you need big expensive lenses to make the most of it.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow