A-Mount

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Marty4650
Marty4650 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,329
RIP A-Mount. You will be missed.

The A-Mount was excellent, and there were plenty of very nice lenses made for it, with a pretty wide selection at just about every price and quality point. The mount was probably the primary reason Sony bought Konica-Minolta's camera business. It was a quick and easy way to get them into the SLR business by providing them with a really nice system on day one back in 2006.

I own several A-mount lenses that I used with my Minolta film cameras and my only SLT (a Sony A55 that I loved dearly, but stopped using when I had migrated fully to M4/3.) I still use some of them with adapters, but I probably won't be buying any new A-Mount cameras or lenses.

cgarrard wrote:

... well?

I'd be sad to see it go quietly. I hope it doesn't.

The Sony/Minolta A-Mount will fade slowly fade away. And this is simply because it was an SLR mount while SLRs are slowly disappearing, and the A-Mount lens catalog is pretty much complete. The same forces will apply to Canon EF, Canon EF-S, Nikon FX, Nikon DX, Pentax K, and Sigma SA mounts too.

And while Canon EF-S and Nikon DX certainly are not complete, these companies would rather encourage you to buy EF and FX lenses rather than developing more APSC lenses.

What are your thoughts on the management of the A-Mount since SLT?

I really don't see how Sony could have done anything differently.

Sony had a very hard time competing in the SLR market, and is currently kicking butt in the MILC market. It really makes no business sense for them to go back to competing in a declining niche where they had a huge disadvantage.

What should Sony do with the A-Mount?

Nothing. That ship has sailed. It was great while it lasted but it just makes more sense for them to devote resources to MILC products and large sensored compact cameras. It might be different if there was huge demand for A-Mount SLRs, but there just isn't.

Sony is not averse to niche marketing, but those niches need to be fairly large and fairly profitable and segments that have some competitive advantage for them. The A-Mount doesn't fall into any of those categories.

What do you think will happen with the A-Mount?

I think Sony will sell off their existing inventories and will not devote a lot of future resources to A-Mount products. They will continue service and support for as long as there is demand for it. They might even create a new lens or two if there is sufficient demand for it, but sadly the overall future looks bleak for the A-Mount system.

-Carl

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
EXX
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow