Worse than I thought

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
SpinOne Veteran Member • Posts: 3,918
Re: Worse than I thought

NCV wrote:

I pass by Hogan's site every so often to see his often interesting thoughts on the camera industry. I do not always agree with what he says.

But reading through this article he give the value of Olympus's market share in the ILC market. The figures are quite shocking. They are now at 3.3% down from a fairly recent healthy 8% when they had a winning team of cameras on the market.

sigh

Market share doesn't matter -- especially in a shrinking market. Profitability is what matters.

Thom is unsurprisingly vague about his timeline and sources. When did Olympus have 8%? Was it profitable at that time? Which companies gained market share? Are those companies profitable? The ILC market is already shrinking, which competitors are positioned well to lose more sales figures?

What's the alternative? Switching to 35mm or even APS sensors won't increase market share, as those spaces are already crowded, and doing so would be enormously expensive. Adding better video features will help a bit, but won't turn Olympus into Canon.

Last but not least: Who cares? Either Olympus gear works for you, or it doesn't. It's not like they will exit the camera business tomorrow.

All this terror over the fate of camera companies is ridiculous. They're just tools, people. Yeesh.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow