Worse than I thought

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
tokumeino Senior Member • Posts: 2,272
Re: Worse than I thought

NCV wrote:

I pass by Hogan's site every so often to see his often interesting thoughts on the camera industry. I do not always agree with what he says.

But reading through this article he give the value of Olympus's market share in the ILC market. The figures are quite shocking. They are now at 3.3% down from a fairly recent healthy 8% when they had a winning team of cameras on the market.

How did this come about? In my opinion for the general sort of photography that most people do like travel, family and that sort of stuff, M43 would seem the obvious choice.

As a former M43 user, that is exactly what I throught. But for some (financial) matter, I had to sold my M43 gear for a 1" compact (just so as to continue making pictures). When I could aford a system again, I've used to look at the crowd with a fresh eye, since it was a new start.

I'm not bashing or trolling here, and I really enjoyed my M43 gear (and especially the Pana 14-140 and the Pana 25/1.4). I mean : really. But Fuji's awfully slow AF issues beeing solved, I've chosen APSC : body sizes are equivalent, lenses are comparable as well, and base ISO is cleaner on APSC.

In my (external) opinion, M43 was attractive as long as they used to maintain their "spirit" with the small yet good enough thing. With Pens, pancake lenses and such. That's only my opinion but Olympus, by designing always larger gear, digged its own grave. When I came back and looked at recent lenses and road maps, I couldn't see anything attractive. F/1.0 lenses at the pricepoint they asked ? Come'on... Why would I buy a low max-DR body if I don't have a sensible size and price advantage ?

Note that I'm always talking about low/base ISO, not high ISO. My Fuji body is not better than my M43 gear, provided I have a fast enough lens on my M43 body. Panasonic is actually better than Fuji in low light because it can focus in extrelely low light, where a Fuji hunts. But when exposure time is not an issue, then a larger sensor really provide cleaner pictures. Yes I can ETTR to maximize exposure with M43, but I can do it with a larger sensor as well.

If I already had many M43 lenses, I surely would have continued. But with a fresh start, I didn't choose M43 again.

tokumeino's gear list:tokumeino's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Canon G7 X II +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow