archiving, digital vs. film

Started Oct 3, 2003 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
david.mitchell Junior Member • Posts: 36
archiving, digital vs. film

So, in reading back through various people's strategies for backups, most of them seem to be oriented around making multiple redundant copies, as well as periodically refreshing those backups to newer, possibly to a more current format.

For me, the HUGE advantage of shooting film is that as long as you keep the negs relatively dry and in a safe place, they'll be usable indefinitely. Digital, on the other hand, requires effort to maintain those backups. That means even if for my entire life I keep my backups refreshed, my children will have to bear the burden (if they care).

Forget that, I want to shoot digital, but back up the keepers to FILM with a film recorder. Not only does film last much longer without any kind of maintenance requirement, but it would be much easier to come up with some way to print from some no-longer-standard film size than an antique backup format. Even now I have some 8mm backup tapes from a few years ago that I have no way to read, EVEN IF the tape is still good.

Im wondering, are most ordinary people for the most part just not really concerned about the longevity of their images? I'd be willing to bet, that beginning in just a few years from now, people who werent very diligent about their backups are going to start discovering that their CD-Rs aren't so permanent after all, and they're going to be just FREAKING OUT.

So, doesnt anyone share my opinion that film recorders should be seeing the same kind of progress that scanners and printers have over the past few years? As far as I know, there's no such thing as a "consumer grade" film recorder. The cheapest one i've seen is $500 or so for a well-used bulky old thing. I dont quite understand why they would be any more or less complex than a decent quality film scanner.

Your thoughts would be welcome!

-dave

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow