Worse than I thought

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NCV
NCV Veteran Member • Posts: 8,701
Worse than I thought

I pass by Hogan's site every so often to see his often interesting thoughts on the camera industry. I do not always agree with what he says.

But reading through this article he give the value of Olympus's market share in the ILC market. The figures are quite shocking. They are now at 3.3% down from a fairly recent healthy 8% when they had a winning team of cameras on the market.

How did this come about? In my opinion for the general sort of photography that most people do like travel, family and that sort of stuff, M43 would seem the obvious choice.

How much has the recent focus on "bloatware" bodies and big hyper fast lenses has played a part in this decline? The general consumer looks at Megapixels. In a world where 24MP seems to be the bare minimum, we are still stuck at 16 with the most affordable models. The cheapest Nikon models have often been the first to have high MP sensors for a good reason. MP sells to the ignorant who do not consider all the other factors.

Hogan's article comes some way to answering my other question. I check out a local dealer who has a heavy SH turn over. I see over the past few months that the SH price of M43 gear is falling sharply. My 12-35 2.8 or the Olympus equivalent can be had in perfect condition here for €500 now. Until recently these two lenses were very sought after and would be sold in just a few hours at around €800-900 SH. Thre are now one each of these lenses languishing unsold at the moment.

My EM5 bodies are coming to the end of their useful lives and will need replacing next year. I am trying to read the Tealeaves carefully. An EM5 sort of camera with a decent up to date sensor as well as some of the hand held Hi res stuff would be interesting for my travel and hiking photography.

But those Nikon Z cameras are also very tempting.

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D810
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow