Why cameras like the M are still worth carrying everywhere

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
fstopx2 Contributing Member • Posts: 733
Re: Why cameras like the M are still worth carrying everywhere

Alastair Norcross wrote:

fstopx2 wrote:

Thanks for the commentary. The pictures are interesting, you can see that the Canon is better but its not 1000% better.

No, maybe about 800% better.

Not 800%.

The reality is that convenience trumps ultimate quality.

For some people, but not for others.

Agreed.

People that are enthusiasts can talk about this till the cows come home but its not going to matter. The smartphone is good enough and its super convenient.

Good enough for some, but not for others.

Agreed.

On top of this nobody wants to pay for another device that does the same thing as the one in their pocket.

Well, that's obviously false. Plenty of people on this forum do precisely that. That was my point.

AND the will have to carry it.

True. And many people, myself included, are quite happy to carry it. Again, that was my point. Real cameras aren't for everyone, but, luckily, they are still for enough people that manufacturers like Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, etc. put money into designing them, and selling them. These companies aren't run by idiots. If there wasn't any demand for their products, they wouldn't make them.

Actually you are wrong about many people wanting to carry it. If that was true the camera companies would not have declining revenue. Standalone cameras are on their way to becoming a niche product. There is nothing wrong with that however the day of mass use of a standalone cameras is coming to an end due to the smartphone.

You should go to Flickr and take a look at some of the pictures shot with a smartphone. You will be very surprised. Here is just a sample:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisfeichtner/

These are hardly just good enough.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow