Pentax vs Sony

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Stigg Regular Member • Posts: 402
Pentax vs Sony

Of all of the digital cameras that I have tried I like the K-01 more than any other. Unfortunately Pentax has moved on since that era. However they are not following the path of the majority of manufacturers. Since 2014 I have been dabbling in Sony cameras starting with the A3000. I found its output less appealing than that of the K-01 but still usable though with a much different aesthetic. Sony has moved on also since that era and I am less pleased with the results. It seems that all manufacturers of digital cameras have one thing in common and that is the push for super high ISO that is usable - at least in their words. Pentax is no different in this case and like Sony, Canon and the others, have changed their jpeg algorithms to attempt to make noise disappear. I could see this as far back as the Canon SX50 and Sony A3000. Smearing, smudging, watercolor-like effects are now more pronounced in the attempt to hide noise that would be plainly visible if the file was left in its more "natural" state. The K-01s jpegs are overall the best in my opinion as they integrate the noise across the image rather than try to smooth it over where its more pronounced.

I'm coming to the end of my decision-making process for my three-lens setup for general-purpose nature photography and birding. I gave Canon a chance with its M50 and found it to be a very difficult camera for me to handle despite the fact that it has all of the specifications on my list. It immediately reminded me of the Pentax Q which was impractical for me even with average-sized hands. And again, the noise "clouds" in what were otherwise good jpegs spoiled things further. For now, having put my K-01 on permanent loan, I am stuck with Sony and their aggressive noise smearing (and smudging, watercoloring, detail consuming, etc.). I found that I definitely want a camera with an EVF despite 40+ years to the present moment working professionally with nothing but pentaprism OVFs. Film and digital are two entirely separate methods of producing visual images and I find electronic imagery is best obtained with the use of electronic viewfinders. Unfortunately Pentax continues with hybrid cameras (all of which I dismissed at the turn of the century) for exactly the latter reason.

Prices are down on Pentax cameras and lenses so it is very tempting for me to buy directly what would work best for me. However I will not work with a digital camera with an OVF and that prevents me from clicking on the electronic shopping cart to buy. To conclude my essay I would like to ask dedicated Pentax owners and users to compare and contrast their Pentax gear with that of Sony's in terms of everyday use and the final jpeg output. Get long-winded like me or not.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow