XT3, 100-400 and 1.4x TE for BIF (Update)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Geekapoo
Geekapoo Senior Member • Posts: 1,989
XT3, 100-400 and 1.4x TE for BIF (Update)

Started a boat trip yesterday traveling from Florida to Virginia via the Intercoastal Waterway (ICW). Have my Sony RX10 IV and Fuji XT3 with me and am mainly trying out the latter camera (XT3) for BIF photography (I already know what the Sony is capable of). Yesterday, was initially using the AF-C custom setting that Morris posted (https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4389443).

Zone/3 boxes, Tracking sensitivity: 4, Speed tracking sensitivity: 2 and Zone area switching: Auto. Within a short period of time, set Zone area switching to Front. OIS was on.

Initial impressions (as this is definitely a work in progress): Focusing is reasonably good but sometimes a little sluggish getting a focus lock (even in boost mode). The camera does at times struggle to keep a focus lock (was the reason I switched to Zone area = Front). The RX10 IV focusing remains vastly superior though that hopefully will change as I get better when using the Fuji set up. I am VERY surprised that at 600mm, the Sony lens is better than the Fuji lens (fully extended minus the 1.4xTE). With the Fuji, I do very much enjoy being able to zoom while trying to get a focus lock and also the ability to go to 840mm. Also, the Fuji is definitely more fun to shoot with. Below are some examples.

TBC.

Shallow DoF..but really needed the shutter speed and didn't want to bump up the ISO too much, which I assume would have been needed to get them both in focus

Purposely keep the shutter speed low to capture motion.

Geekapoo's gear list:Geekapoo's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Sony RX10 IV Fujifilm X-T3 +9 more
Fujifilm X-T3 Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow