To ETTR or not to ETTR...?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Mark9473 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,901
Re: Definition of ETTR

Adielle wrote:

"ETTR" is just a bias towards maximizing highlight and high mid-tone content, and more willingness to sacrifice details in the high frequency spectrum rather than the low frequency spectrum.

I accept that's how you think about it, since you keep repeating it, but most people who do ETTR don't. You only sacrifice highlight detail if you go too far, i.e. you overexpose, and that's not what ETTR is about.

In MFT cameras, highlight clipping and "squeezing" is a much more severe problem than lack of detail in dark / shadow content, even when there is no post pushing and pulling done, but especially when there is. Shadow detail retention is especially good in MFT cameras, and It's much better to err "to the left" than "to the right". I would follow that regardless of format,

You're certainly not speaking for m43 cameras in general, so you should really clarify on which camera bodies you have that experience.

-- hide signature --

Mark

Mark9473's gear list:Mark9473's gear list
Canon G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +21 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
XRF
XRF
XRF
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow