Lens Choices for Trip to Singapore and Western Australia

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Fergus Ferguson Junior Member • Posts: 30
Re: Lens Choices for Trip to Singapore and Western Australia

I have been to Singapore/Malaysia/Bali twice, and lived around Perth for 35+ years. I went back to Perth for the first time in a long time last year. I took a 70D with the 24-105mm L, an EF-s 10-18mm, and the EF-s 55-250mm.

When I lived there I used an AE-1 Program with a FD 50mm f1.8 and a FD 200mm f4, then a EOS 630 with an EF 35-70mm, and EF 100-300mm USM. 35mm wasn't quite as wide as I wanted back then, so I used to tape prints together as pano's. It worked.

My advice? Go as light as you can. Singapore is extremely hot, and you don't want to be carrying anything you don't absolutely have to. The heat may get on top of you if you are outside for long periods, plus it is very hazy. Perth is way cooler, and the air should be  very clear when you are travelling. I used the 10-18mm once, and the 55-250mm maybe five times for sunset storm pictures from Fremantle across to Rottnest Island. Learn how to take a pano with your 24-105 (I just used my iPhone, and was really happy with the results). I would take the 70-200mm and Extender for long range landscapes of the ocean and beaches. You don't need a 400mm lens for wildlife. Just go to the Perth/Singapore Zoo, and Whiteman Park, and the wildlife pretty much walks up and sits in your lap. At Whiteman Park you can actually walk right up to Kangaroos and Wallabies and stroke them. Usually they walk up to you and want a scratch on the belly. Wild birds will also approach you there if you have an apple to share. I came back with 5 pano's taken on my iPhone, and the rest were mainly covered by the 24-105mm or my iPhone camera.

To do both places you will be covering a lot of distance, and you will often be grabbing exceedingly fleeting moments. The 24-105mm will do that for you. And remember, the more time you spend swapping lenses, the less time you will have eating chicken rice and satay in Singapore, or a Mrs Mac's meat pie or Vegemite sandwich made on a white pipe loaf from Bakers Delight in Perth.

I guess what I am trying to say is don't spend your time taking pictures of your pint of beer at the Sail and Anchor, when you could be drinking it.

Fergus Ferguson's gear list:Fergus Ferguson's gear list
Canon PowerShot A95 Canon PowerShot G7 Kodak DC280 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 20D +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow