Am I wise not to trust Adobe entirely?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 5,883
Re: Am I wise not to trust Adobe entirely?

I dunno if it's a matter of trust. Historically Lr and Ps have been far more costly, so it wouldn't be unusual to see a price increase.

And of course any software that you pay for could increase in price. And any software can be abandoned entirely; ask the Apple users about MacPaint, Aperture and iPhoto.

So Affinity could go bye bye too. I've had software like Macphun's now more or less abandoned Creative Kit plugins, Capture One's Express, the old Canvas on Mac, Aperture, and tons more disappear. Not to mention a platform change, OS upgrade, or something else could render your software unusable at any price. And that means any proprietary files or parameters linked to it are also problematic.

So it's really a matter of providing a workflow that guards against that. We're fortunate in photoland because we have all that glorious standardized metadata that works everywhere, and some file formats that are pretty universal. Still, all images with proprietary adjustments might need to be exported in TIFF to insure that the work is preserved come any loss of software. I can just re-do them from raw, but some folks might not have that option, so saving a digital hard copy might be the only way to go.

-- hide signature --

“Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
— Edgar Degas

robgendreau's gear list:robgendreau's gear list
Pentax K-1 II Pentax FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow