Am I wise not to trust Adobe entirely?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ADW02 Regular Member • Posts: 219
Am I wise not to trust Adobe entirely?

I was bothered by the strong rumors that Adobe was going to double the price of its photo plan from $9.99 per month to $19.99, so I decided to call the company directly on the matter. Of course they verified that I'm paid up through March 15, 2020, but I wanted to know if another yearly package was going to cost $240. I could tolerate $119.88 as a yearly fee, but $240 would cause me to dump Photoshop. If there was indeed going to be a price increase, I would need to know this as soon as possible, to be fluent in using alternative development programs.

The rep I spoke with assured me that I wouldn't have a price increase while using my current plan, which included 20 megs of the Cloud. Only those people who wanted a full terabyte of Cloud coverage would pay the $19.99 monthly fee. As for whether Adobe would force all customers to adopt the 1TB plan for Photoshop/Lightroom by next year she couldn't say, but she felt Adobe would never abandon those people who didn't use the Cloud. I'd like to think she's right, but experience has shown me that in high-tech companies the left hand often doesn't know what the right is doing. So it leaves me wondering if Adobe is really worth trusting.

I love Photoshop, not only for its advanced ability to create montages, but for its ability to coordinate all of my plug-in programs. Unlike all other software I can interact with Nik, Skylum, On1 and Topaz directly, and have changes sent back to Photoshop for  finishing enhancements. Even so, I don't trust Adobe entirely, and am working hard to find workable alternatives, just in case.

As an affordable insurance backup, I've just purchased Affinity Photo and its official workbook for $100. I will be using this along with On1RAW 2019 and Luminar 3. Each offers something the others don't, and it appears to me that this Trio can pretty much do what Photoshop can, but they are badly disjointed when it comes to coordinating with each other. In short, if Adobe doesn't increase the subscription price for its basic PS/Lightroom package beyond its current amount , Affinity will be little used, if I use it at all. But my feeling is that I would be very wise to learn Affinity thoroughly, and to find ways to coordinate it with the other two programs, as a workable backup.

Quite simply, am I wise not to trust Adobe entirely?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow