maarensv
maarensv Contributing Member • Posts: 894
Re: Need to replace my EF-S 15-85mm when I buy my EOS 6D Mark II

Dr_Jon wrote:

maarensv wrote:

Dr_Jon wrote:

maarensv wrote:

William Woodruff wrote:

If the budget is really tight, don't be afraid of the EF 28-135. It is an older design, and it does get soft in the corners at wider apertures, but it is stabilized, and it is actually quite sharp in the center. If you keep it in the f4-f8 range, it does quite well. You should be able to get a refurb or nice used one for $200-300.

I would take the 24-105 STM over the 28-135 at any time. It performs better optically, focusses faster, focusses near silent, has better build and the IS is several generations ahead. The 4mm at the wide end is more important than the 30mm at the other end IMO. The 24-105 STM is quite affordable too. I only prefer the FTM USM of the 28-135 over the focus by wire of the 24-105 for manual focus, but that does not weigh up to the rest for me.

Although I'd take a mk I (used) 24-105L over either...
($350-$609 depending on condition vs $599 for the STM.)

STM or L v1 is less obvious. The L is sharper in the center at all fl and has “constant” max f4 aperture. The STM on the other hand might be less sharp, but is very consistant over the entire frame. Overall, build and handling included, I think they are about equal.

Did you look at the images in my original post? Certainly my L is pretty amazing...

I have owned the 28-135, 24-105 L I (replaced the 28-135), 24-105 STM (got it for my bro), Sigma 24-105 Art (to replace the L, but returned it) and RF 24-105 L. And I have had the Sony FE 24-105 too. I know these lenses pretty well 😉

maarensv's gear list:maarensv's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Sony a7R III +25 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
irm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow