Canon EOS RP sales nosedive in Japan

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
lawny13 Senior Member • Posts: 1,487
Re: Canon EOS RP sales nosedive in Japan

BirdShooter7 wrote:

Seems like it's a bit clunky to have an adapter in the middle to me. I can see why consumers would rather have a native lens that mounts without an adapter. Maybe it's just a mental thing but it is a hurdle Canon will have to overcome as long as they don't have an RF mount version.

Its very much a mental thing.

If I only had EF lenses, and permanently left the adapter on the body, it would essentially be a mirrorless EOS EF body. The ONLY handling difference is that you won't press the button on the body to swap but on the adapter. Performance of the lenses on the body is just like on the DSLRs, but even better with the control ring adapter or filter holder adapter. 
Crappy experience with adapting glass to other bodies like sony, the limited adaptation on the Z mount etc gives adapting a bad name. I have experience with adapting to sony, and decided it was not for me. But having adapted lenses to my R has been brilliant and I don't mind it 98% of the time.

So the only issue/arguement/chunkiness... happens when you have more than 1 EF lens that you adapt, AND an RF lens in your bag as well.

For example, if I have the 100 L on the body, and swap to the RF 24-105, the 100 ends up in my bag with the adapter on it. When I want to switch to the EF 50, then I will need to go into the bag to get the adapter off the 100 and... you get the point. There is the handling of lens caps etc. 
HOWEVER, is the convenience of not having to move the adapter around as I describe in the example truly worth the cost of NEW RF lens prices? For the hundred to thousands in savings I could just by multiple adapters and just leave them on the lenses. Then there is absolutely no clunkiness.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow