Upgrade Lenses vs. Changing Systems

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kupkake New Member • Posts: 5
Upgrade Lenses vs. Changing Systems

Over the past 4 years I've discovered that I love photography and its slowly become a big part of my life. I started with a nikon D3400, which I love to death (best sensor for the price ever), but I'm starting to see that I need to upgrade to either better lenses or a different system to take the type of photos I'm looking for (FX, or change brand to FF mirrorless). There are a lot of great DX lenses, but I'm worried that I would eventually upgrade to full frame or a different system and they would all be kind of a waste at that point.

I know that I can use FX lenses with the d3400, but what I'm wondering is would it be more worth it to simply buy better glass and continue using my d3400? or to consider switching over to sony with something like an a6300 or a7ii ?

I mainly shoot landscapes and low light indoor shots, with some occasional astrophotography and street photography. I feel that the d3400 just struggles a bit with autofocusing, low light shots, and QoL features like tiltable screen, better live view, weather sealing, etc.

As of now, I only own the 18-55 kit lens, sigma 10-20 f3.5, and an old 50mm 1.8d I found in my family's garage. I haven't bought into Nikon's system fully yet so switching wouldn't be a big deal. Brain says buy better glass, heart says try out sony. What do you guys think?

Note: money isn't the biggest deal ever, my budget is around 1000-1600

Nikon D3400 Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow