Which Ultimate all-around lens: Sony 55m f/1.8 or Zeiss Batis 40mm f/2?

Started May 8, 2019 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
happylearner New Member • Posts: 3
Which Ultimate all-around lens: Sony 55m f/1.8 or Zeiss Batis 40mm f/2?

Hi everyone - I got a pretty tough dilemma here and I'd love to get your input.

I am about to get the A7 III, and I can't make up my mind as of which Prime to get as my single, all-around lens: the Sony 55m f/1.8 or Zeiss Batis 40mm f/2?

My photography types by descending order of priority/occurrence

1. Kids portraits / photography
  2. Family portraits /events photography
  3. Street photography
  4. Landscape photography

Semi-macro is something I want to try out, either with the 40mm or 55mm with macro adapter

Of course, given my #1 priority of kids/family photography, AF and Eye AF performance must be top tier.

I tend to prefer the 40mm due to it's versatility, but I am worried that the wider FoV will required me to be super close to a subject for a shoulder-head portrait (or kids full body), which would result in less natural situation and "staged" looking portraits

On the other end, the 55mm seems to be perfect for this, but I am not sure how limiting it will be for events / street photography given the narrower FoV

Any input, especially from users who experienced both lenses, would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

ps: let's assume they are the same price, since I don't plan on getting more than 1 lens in the near future

ANSWER:
Sony a7 III Zeiss Batis 40mm F2 CF
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow