An observation about smartphone gimbals

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Adrian Tung
Adrian Tung Veteran Member • Posts: 3,676
An observation about smartphone gimbals

I've been looking at smartphone gimbals recently, and I noticed one odd pattern: the roll axis motor is on the front-facing end whereas camera gimbals (including DSLRs, mirrorless, and action cameras) typically have this motor behind the camera (and now many of the new ones have them at an 45 degree angle behind and below the camera to avoid blocking the LCD screen).

I think it is odd because this sort of placement, at least for smartphones, while is geared more for using the front-facing selfie screen, but can have issues if using the rear main cameras. For one, unless your phone's main camera is to the top edge of the phone, the motor may get into the camera's field of view. Even if you can adjust the horizontal positioning of the phone so you keep the camera as far away from the motor as possible, but this can still be an issue with some of the newer phones that now come with ultra wide angle lenses.

Any thoughts on this? Any smartphone gimbal that doesn't follow this trend?

Adrian Tung's gear list:Adrian Tung's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus Tough TG-870 Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +12 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow