SR1 high res macro

Started May 6, 2019 | Discussions thread
Keith Cooper
OP Keith Cooper Senior Member • Posts: 2,475
Re: SR1 high res macro

Tom Caldwell wrote:

James Stirling wrote:

Keith Cooper wrote:

A few more experiments with the SR1 and a new 100/2.8 macro lens and high res mode have convinced me that it's potentially superb...

The 'potentially' refers to the really small DOF you have to work with when using any macro lens wide open. This will limit many, by requiring stacking to get any significant DOF, whilst the lack of motion controller support and more importantly no flash firing when making super-res shots, will just up the difficulty a bit more

I'm not into the bugs/plants/fungi staples of the macro photography world, so you'll have to wait in that area (I'm sure using that 187MP will be taken as a challenge by some ) but here's a super res shot of an old 8255a PIO chip, with a full res crop.

The 16 bit .psd file of this image is ~1.12GB BTW

This was shot using mode 1

Mode 2 allows for a bit of movement, so is better for real world photos

That is some serious detail Keith , not sure I would want to see the more common and more gruesome macro bug shots at this kind of detail I hoped to see some more high res form the S1 as well I did post a thread but never got a lot of replies

It seems that this product (S1/S1R) might be becoming a game-changer product that is only going to be limited by the ideas on what it can be used for.

The -only- limitation (or annoyance really) I've come across in the couple of weeks I've had the camera and lenses is dust. I'm really thinking that having the sensor 'open' when changing lenses is not such a good idea. The sensor picked up (and retained) more tiny specks (visible at f/16) in a couple of weeks than my 5Ds has since 2015

I note that the EOS RP keeps the sensor visible, whilst the EOS R closes the shutter - based on experience of late I'd like the shutter closed when not in use.

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

Keith Cooper's gear list:Keith Cooper's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow