GRiii or Sony RX 100VI/VA

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
MrHollywood
MrHollywood Senior Member • Posts: 2,960
Re: Objective Observations

thelps wrote:

I would not pick a Sony RX100 of any model without also looking at the other 1" sensor cameras like the Panasonic LX10 and the Canon G7X II. There are of course differences in the hardware and even the software offerings. The LX10 a powerhouse with lots of additional functions which may or may not be of use.

All that aside I prefer the output from the LX10, the the GX7 II.

Either of these would be good companions to a GR. I'd get both.

Like many shooters, I can't stress enough what a lack of real viewfinder means to shooting.

The LX10 has nice output, just like all the others, but it has no viewfinder and it's a far less sophisticated AF module. I tried one out and handed it back fast.

The G7X II is also lacking the viewfinder and is WAY behind the Sony in features, speed and capability.

The main reason to choose LX10 & G7X is the far more reasonable price.

Both the Sony RX100 VI and GRIII have insane pricing IMHO. Had I not gotten the Sony as a gift I doubt I would have bothered with it.

That's why my view on the Sony is key here. I did NOT spend MY money on it and I actually had bias against it before opening the box. It took me about 45 minutes to realize that it was better than my GR and every other pocket camera out there.

I'm hardly alone in that view. It's typically called the best pocket camera, or best P&S camera or best travel camera.....amid the complaints about the price!

The price of the GR III is every bit as whacky to me and I'm a guy who can buy what he wants when he wants.

Rob

-- hide signature --

"We need a bigger boat."

MrHollywood's gear list:MrHollywood's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital II Nikon D850 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow