Video card RAM for Lightroom?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TwoMetreBill Senior Member • Posts: 1,393
Video card RAM for Lightroom?

Currently using a 4GB Quadro K1200 with one each 5K and 4K monitors. HP Xeon (3.6/4.0 6-core) workstation with 64GB of RAM and dedicated PCI-E SSD for the Lightroom catalog and library.

If Lightroom is in single monitor mode, it runs reasonably well on either monitor. Switch to dual monitor mode and performance drops 5-10X. When I say reasonably well, I mean 5-10X as fast as Lightroom runs in Scott Kelby's tutorials.

As the performance monitors don't show any processor or I/O bottlenecks, my guess is that that there is a memory or RAM bottleneck with the video card.

A Quadro M4000, P4000 or even a Geforce 2070 is a fair chunk of change and renting a card is absurdly expensive. Hence looking for someone with experience. Please don't reference that i7 benchmark with about a dozen video cards, that machine was so poorly configured that the test was meaningless.

Thanks, 
Bill

TwoMetreBill's gear list:TwoMetreBill's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow