I am think of doing something crazy ... going all "red badge zooms"

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 14,296
Re: I am think of doing something crazy ... going all "red badge zooms"

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

I think either the 16 f1.4 or the 10-24; the 16 is three stops faster than the zoom which will help compensate, in comparison, for the lack of OIS. But you don’t have to be a wide angle shooter to see value in a wide angle for cathedral interiors.

JMHO (and perhaps reflecting a lack of creativity on my part), but 16mm feels awfully long for photographing a cathedral interior (or most any interior I would think).  The faster speed would be welcome for sure, but the FOV feels pretty tight for a large, expansive space.  I’ve found that at least the more recent Fuji bodies (X-T2/3 and X-H1) can handle ISOs up to 1600-3200 quite well with very manageable noise, and that, coupled with OIS or IBIS, more than enables hand held shooting in cathedrals.  However, a narrower FOV can be pretty limiting when shooting an expansive interior with less ability to compensate save a change of lenses.

All a matter of personal preference, I suppose, but I’d personally want something around 12mm or wider for cathedral and other large interiors.  YMMV and perhaps I’m not taking into consideration other possibilities here.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow