Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
lewiedude2
lewiedude2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,550
Re: Sorry, but not buying it...

TRIODEROB wrote:

Guys-

I rented the 16-55 this weekend

hated it !

here is why - first off its as heavy as a brick so it does not balance well without the vertical grip - then by the time you put 2 batteries in its as heavy as a FF SLR

Optically it was way inferior to the primes

(which I can back up with optical engineering reviews)

I found that it stifled by spontaneous shooting

if I want to do landscapes I would rather have the small 14

if I want a walk around lens that is light for a day of shooting with the grip optional the 35 magic is perfect

if I need some reach for the zoo or birds in flight on the beach the 50-140 zoom is truly great for the same weight as the brick

( and the focus is wonderful on the 50-140)

glad I did not buy the 16-55

Sorry it didn't work out for you, but hadn't you already decided not to go with the red badge zooms? I think it was last week that you decided not to do it. As for the optical prowess of the 16-55, I think it is fantastic. Sharp throughout. Not sure what the issue was with the rented copy you used, but, there are many in this forum that go out of their way to make certain that the lens's optical ability is fairly reflected as a stellar alternative, again it is just another way to make images, to primes.

Good luck with the rest of your choices and I support what ever you choose to do. We are, after all, just interested in making great images and finding the right gear with which to accomplish that goal. Cheers!

lewiedude2's gear list:lewiedude2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow