Ditching Canon for Sony (talk me off the ledge?)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,258
I Jumped The Other Way, In 2010

Todd Meyers wrote:

I've been a Canon DSLR shooter since the first digital Rebel. Currently, I've got a decent collection of EF and EF-S lenses, a 70D, a 600D, various flashes and accessories, etc. As I've been a Canon loyalist for going on 20 years, I've watched as Sony went from a small wannabe to actually making me regret being stuck with all this Canon gear.

In-body stabilization - it seems Canon will never do this.

Personally, I do not need this, or want this. I am not trying to convince anyone else that they do not need a stabilized body. I just “buy” the engineering argument that in-lens IS is more stable, in more conditions.

Mirrorless APS-C - it isn't clear if Canon will ever do this, but I'm tired of waiting.

Canon has been doing this, the M system. I liked my M3 well enough, but after a flood claimed it, I was slow to replace it. By now, I would rather have an EOS RP. I like the RP better than the R.

4K video - Canon seems to be the worst among the big players at video.

I shot a few seconds of video, for personal use, with my first 7D cameras. Not my thing. I did record a video statement, for evidentiary purposes, with a 7D, while on duty. That duty is no longer a factor; I retired. I am no videographer. Nothing against those who are.

Affordability - Sony is clearly the value leader here, with the most lens flexibility, and they don't cripple bodies through software limitations to nearly the degree that Canon does.

I did not see my 7D Mark II cameras as crippled. When I was photographing evidence and crime scenes, in all weather, and all lighting conditions, I was using the best cameras in the world, for that purpose, at that point in time, regardless of price. The 7D II held this position until the advent of the 1D X II and Nikon D5, and the D5 would not be able to use the best all-weather macro lens in the world, the EF 100/2.9L Macro IS.

I still keep one of my EF 100/2.8L Macro IS lenses on one of my 7D II cameras; virtually welded in place. This is still world-class gear.

There are other reasons I'm frustrated as a Canon owner. So talk me off the ledge here. It feels like this is the time for me to dump all my Canon glass, while it's still worth something, and jump ship. Am I wrong? I really would like to be wrong. But Canon just isn't showing me a clear path forward, or at least giving me vague assurances that they're taking the concerns of folks like me into account.

Sony was very vague, a decade ago, regarding their way forward. When it was time to choose a DSLR system, moving beyond my Sony bridge camera, I weighed Canon and Nikon, and went Canon. The EF 100/2.8L Macro IS was a significant factor; when I purchased my first L lens, it was this one, and it anchored Canon as my primary system. I soon bought the first of my eventual two 7D bodies.

The time to get a good price for one’s lenses was more than a year ago. I have been seeing the actual sale prices of pre-owned Canon EF lenses plunging since 2017. I have taken advantage of these falling prices, adding several nice pre-owned L lenses.

I do not hate Sony. I use a Sony DVD player, and still cling to two Sony VAIO netbooks. I did not actually ditch my old Sony bridge camera, but the same flood that drank my EOS M3 also drank my Sony bridge camera.

I have added Nikon, gradually, first as a low-light system, and Nikon has partially taken-over bird photography duties, though my best nature-walk zoom at this moment, remains the EF 100-400L II IS. The Nikkor 80-400G and 200-500/5.6E are not as good as this L zoom.

One of my newer Canon cameras really helps me keep the faith, with Canon, the 5D IV. With the EF 100-400L II IS, this camera can hold its own, against a Nikon D500 or D850, with the Nikkor 80-400G. My Nikon-dedicated wife is envious. There is a Nikon tele-zoom that best the EF 100-400L II IS, but its costs over $13K US, weighs too much to be a nice woods-walking lens, and probably has a much longer MFD spec, so is a non-factor for us.

A 7D III, with AF as good as the 5D IV, would be a camera I would buy. If there is no 7D III, well, I will keep using my 7D II cameras, as well as my 5D IV and 5Ds R.

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Dabbling with Leica-M is fun, too. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +43 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow