Canon sales drop

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
RRAz Forum Member • Posts: 83
Re: Camera Sales Drop (to T3)

GeraldW wrote:

Thanks for posting that graph, I've been looking for something like that. It clearly shows the sales turning the corner in 2004, when relatively affordable DSLRs first showed up. I got my first digital camera in the fall of 2003 with a timid purchase to test the waters.

I fully expect sales of ILC's to return to something close to that level by 2021 or 2022. Although the population is greater now than in 2004, I also expect the aging population in the more affluent nations to have the effect of compensating for the population growth.

Generally, a good discussion going on here.

The number of cameras sold annually continues to rise; it is the form that is changing. The vast majority of camera users just want "good enough" images with the least effort and education possible. This has driven camera sales since they were invented. As image-taking became increasingly simple, millions bought in. Each sales surge has resulted from an innovation that raised the standard of good enough; from Brownies to disposable film cameras to compact digitals to cell cameras. This is a trajectory every manufacturer must confront (including cell phone makers).

I don't understand mirrorless as being a true game-changer, and I suspect sales are cannibalizing those of DSLRs (possibly to the detriment of both). I'm guessing Canikon have been late entering the market  because they understand just that, but have been somewhat forced into it simply to defend market share and brand status.

They may make less of them, but I doubt Canon will stop producing and supporting lenses for my camera any time soon.

RRAz's gear list:RRAz's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
(unknown member)
T3
(unknown member)
T3
(unknown member)
T3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow