Canon EOS RP sales nosedive in Japan

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Handiworks
Handiworks Regular Member • Posts: 390
Re: Canon EOS RP sales nosedive in Japan

jalywol wrote:

Lisa Horton wrote:

Peak freak wrote:

I think I have PTSD over what Canon expected me to pay for the 6D2, and in line with the thread, unless a small, light FF body like the RP has small, light lenses available, it is rather pointless to me.

Everyone has their own ways of seeing things, this is one that I don't really understand. The camera and lens are a unit while in use. Lower the weight of either of them and you've lowered the weight of the unit. If lowering weight is the point, then lowering the total weight should serve the point.

I was all set to buy the 6D2, just waiting for checks to clear when the RP came out at a price that surprised me. I'd handled the 6D2 in store and it was fairly similar in size and weight to my outgoing 50D. The RP is clearly lighter and smaller, making the entire unit lighter and smaller no matter what lens I'm using. I also feel that a lighter body balances better with large lenses, but probably only because I've gotten used to that over time.

I agree with you....but I have a sneaking suspicion that there may be a gender difference in how people perceive the RP.

Great point,

The minute the RP was announced, and I saw the body weight, I knew I was going to get it. I know, from experience, that my comfort zone with camera bodies is 400-500g. At that weight, the body balances differently in my hand than a heavier one, and, even with larger lenses, the torque it puts on my wrist and elbow is considerably reduced.

In practice, the RP has, indeed, proven to be enjoyable, and not painful, to use, even with the not tiniest of lenses on it (EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 II plus converter is about 850g, so it's not a lightweight). More bulk and weight in hand of a larger body, for me is far more uncomfortable to use, especially when carrying it around for a day of shooting.

On the other hand, if I had big man paws, I'd be worried that the RP might be too small, sure. But not for me....

For me, this was the case.  I didn’t enjoy the Oly OMD simply because it was too small.  The EG-1 extender turned the RP into the perfect camera as far as size for me personally... I thought it was a gimmick till I got the camera, picked it up and my last 1.5 fingers were hanging off and I lost the leverage I needed with the 24-105.

Canon should have turned the EG-1 into a small battery pack with extra SD slot and sold or included it cheap!

Now, if Canon was smart, they might want to figure out how to market the camera to this segment of the marketplace, without alienating the entire male customer base....tough to do.

-J

-- hide signature --

Canon RP, Canon EF 24-105 STM, Olympus OMD-EM1, & some other bits.
"The present is the only place where time touches eternity" C.S. Lewis

Handiworks's gear list:Handiworks's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow