Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8

Started May 4, 2019 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 10,104
Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8

A brief personal view. This is the 8th macro lens I've owned since 1981. For Fuji I've used the 60mm, 80mm and this Zeiss 50mm. All of them have been optically very good, nothing to complain about in any. I rather fancy the 80mm is the sharpest, but it isn't clearly different in real life. The 50mm seems to focus most reliably. The 60 was a bit hit and miss, the 80 a bit better and the 50 seems to me a bit better yet. Not speed, they all seem jolly fast, but accuracy. I do like OIS for field close ups, it does help, but the 80mm is so big and heavy that simply getting it into that field is a deal of work. The focal length isn't as useful for general snapping either. The 80mm has a 1.4x converter, which takes it close to 200mm equivalent coming from 35mm, the 50 has a lower working distance of course.

So will this take over my wild flower photography? Not sure. Optically very good, I'd miss the 80mm with OIS on dull days but boy it is so much heavier than the other two. Should I have kpet the 60mm? Probably, but the 50 seems to have better AF.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8
Telephoto macro prime lens • Fujifilm X, Sony E
Announced: Jan 30, 2014
a_c_skinner's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow