Canon EOS RP sales nosedive in Japan

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
lawny13 Senior Member • Posts: 1,552
Re: Canon EOS RP sales nosedive in Japan

rrc1967 wrote:

WSteveP wrote:

Article blames lack of native lenses. However given the compatability of EF lenses (with adapter) I'm not sure that would be the reason.

One comment on this again, I think more the lack of a kit lens to be more of a problem. I don't really think lenses, in general, are a problem, but the lack of a suitable kit lens is just freaking odd.

Well... not so odd actually. It only seems like it. There is a bit of a shock affect with these low priced FF cameras. Traditionally if you got a 6D or 5DIII you would get the 24-105 f4 or the 24-70 f4 as a kit with it. Both of them are L lenses are are generally not the same as the APS-C kit lenses. Nikon essentially did the same.

It is sony that has the cheap kit lens (that is nothing to write home about) in the form of the 28-70 variable aperture lens.

Enter the RP with a 1300 price tag and suddenly the 24-105 f4 seems over priced for a kit lens at 1.1k.

Essentially people need to take a step back and have a look at the logical budget kit lens option. And that is the RP with the adapter and the EF 24-105 f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, which goes for $600 and performs like native. Considering that most consumers use just the kit lens they get the camera with, permanently leaving the adapter and lens on the body is pretty much the same as if the lens was native RF mount in the first place. 
But yes... canon should very much consider releasing a RF 24-105 f3.5-5.6 kit lens. Because of sony there is the association that non-native-mount lens = performance issues, which isn't the case with the RF mount and adapter (at least not an issue up to 400 mm).

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow