Best Cheap Non-50's

Started Aug 22, 2017 | Discussions thread
Travis Butler
Travis Butler Senior Member • Posts: 1,086
Re: Best Cheap Non-50's

kelstertx wrote:

Mathieu18 wrote:

These threads come up from time to time but I'm looking for new ideas (lenses) to try. What are your favorite / best you can think of lenses with two restrictions in mind...

No 50mm lenses. They're all good and mostly cheap.

Lens should generally be available under $100 used, and the cheaper the better.

Zooms are okay, but since old zooms tend to be near free, try to pick ones that REALLY stand out. The Nikon 75-150 comes to mind.

I'm really curious about the Kiron 30-80mm f3.5-4.5 varifocal lens. Its reviews on Pentaxforums put it neck and neck with the Tamron SP 35-80 (01A), which is pretty high praise. Except those two [very good] reviews on Pentaxforums, I haven't been able to find out too much about it. It has to be pretty well corrected, as it's got 14 elements in 11 groups! The Tamron SP has 9 elements in 8 groups, by comparison. I know that doesn't guarantee it's better... but I'd like to see how it stacks up.

I picked one up for myself to play with a while back, but it's so stiff on the push-pull that it seems unlikely to be a pleasant experience trying to use it. As heavy as it is, it's unlikely I'd choose it over the 01A, but if it were completely devoid of all CA, well, I'd have to reconsider....

Just found one of these at a sale today... certainly built like a tank, but either the OM mount is loose, or there's a mechanism there I'm not understanding; the mount bayonet + aperture ring moves forward/back about a mm when I push/pull on the zoom.

Definitely looks more interesting after reading this; picked it up mostly because it was small and seemed well-built. Going on a trip tomorrow so I won't be able to play with it until late next week.

(Also found an OM Zuiko 35/2.0, which is another lens that seems to be hard to find reviews for; the 2.8 seems to get a lot more attention. That one's small enough I can just take it with me. ^_- )

-- hide signature --

Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_prof67/ Warning: Heavy Learning in progress.

Travis Butler's gear list:Travis Butler's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix A Pentax Q Pentax K-50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow