Ditching Canon for Sony (talk me off the ledge?)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Karen Casebeer
Karen Casebeer Contributing Member • Posts: 577
Re: Ditching Canon for Sony (talk me off the ledge?)

Todd...I think you should try a Sony for a month or so to see what you think.  You can always send your Sony back if you don't like it.  That's what I did a month or so ago.

I don't shoot video and my Canon lenses all have IS so I'm not concerned about IBIS too.  My issue was size and weight.  I'm in my 70s and my 80D + 100-400 have gotten too heavy for me to carry around.  So I complained a LOT about what Canon didn't have to suit my needs.  I did lots of research and decided on the Sony a6400, which got a very high rating from its recent DPreview review.  I had my a6400 for almost a full month before sending it back.  I shot almost daily and asked questions on the Sony forums.  At the end of the time period, I found I wasn't getting comparable shots with my Sony as I did with my Canon.  Part of my discomfort was the ergonomics were much different than my Canon bodies.  I also found that the Sony menu system was really tough to navigate.  Much of it was customizable and I had difficulty doing that.  Perhaps, I'm getting too old to learn a system different from what I've been shooting with for nearly 20 years.  So the a6400 was returned.

That left me with the same Canon problem of too much weight.  I had to find compromise some how.  In the end, I've chosen to switch to the 77D, a little bit lighter than my 80D but just as capable.  I tried a M50 and a SL3, but didn't get the IQ I wanted.  I also let go of the 100-400 in favor of the lighter 70-300L lens.  I know I lose some reach, but I'm dealing with it.  With the two modifications to my system, my main gear is nearly two pounds lighter than before.

So go ahead, and try a Sony model.  Maybe you'll love it and will have found what you're seeking in a different brand.  You need to get your complaining out of your system by trying another.  If the Sony doesn't work out, you can come back to Canon, perhaps, with a better attitude.  I know on my journey I learned there isn't a perfect camera out there.  I've found the best I could for me, with some compromise, and am pretty happy about that.  Good luck!

Karen Casebeer's gear list:Karen Casebeer's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS 77D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow