Canon EOS RP sales nosedive in Japan

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Ljosaa New Member • Posts: 23
Re: Canon EOS RP sales nosedive in Japan

I friend of mine was looking for a mirrorless system starting from scratch as his Nikon DX lenses had too low value to be a deciding factor. His budget was max $3500.

He made a quite throughout investigation with both full frame and crop sensor options involving discussions with Norway's largest retailers and in-shop testing.

What struck me is that for full frame cameras he received no recommendations of the new Canon R system. The Nikon Z6 w/24-70f4 was considered a better value compared to either of the two Canon R cameras w/24-105f4. The Sony A7III w/24-105f4 was recommended as the best overall solution albeit more expensive than the Nikon one. Both he and the people in the shops considered the Canon RP as an starting/intermediate solution that would likely motivate an upgrade quite soon and thus potentially could be a quite costly solution. The Canon R including lens was the most expensive solution of all even if behind Sony in the sensor, autofocus, video and IBIS department. I didn't help that the body design of the two Canon cameras did not scream "buy me" as the Fuji XT3 does either.

In the end the decision was between Sony A7III and Fuji XT3. He decided for the latter due to system size, controls, design, jpeg quality among others.

Ljosaa's gear list:Ljosaa's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow